Saturday, 20 February 2016
Viennese Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes: approx. 12 large cupcakes Overall time: approx. an hour
Click here for a video tutorial
for the biscuit base:
➥ 200g Viennese Sandwiches (I used the brand Foxes)
➥ 50g Unsalted butter
for the cupcakes:
➥ 120g Plain flour
➥ 90g Caster sugar
➥ 40g Unsalted butter
➥ 120ml Whole milk
➥ 1 Large egg
➥ 1/2 tbsp Baking powder
➥ 1/2 tbspVanilla extract
for the Vanilla Bean buttercream:
➥ 125g Unsalted butter
➥ 250g Icing sugar
➥ 1/2 tsp Vanilla bean extract
➥ Cocoa powder for dusting
➥ Viennese Sandwiches, sliced in half
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Place the sifted flour, caster sugar, baking powder and butter into a large and blend at a low speed with an electric whisk until it resembles crumbly sand.
2. Add in the milk, egg, melted white chocolate and vanilla bean extract then blend until all the ingredients are smooth and well incorporated.
3. Pour approx. 1 and 1/2 tbsp of batter into each cupcake case and bake for 25-30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the vanilla buttercream. Blend the butter and icing sugar together until well combined before adding a few drops of vanilla extract for flavour. Blend until well mixed. Place the buttercream into a piping bag with Wilton's star nozzle #1M.
5. Once you cakes are baked, let them cool down completely. Pipe on the buttercream, place the viennese sandwich on each cupcake and finish by dusting with cocoa powder. They are ready to be served!