Serves: 8-12 Overall time: approx. 1 hour 30-45 mins
Click here for a video tutorial!
Egg Yolk Mixure
➥ 150g Caster sugar
➥ 5 Egg yolks (Room temperature is best)
➥ 35ml Whole milk
➥ 40ml Cold water
➥ 160g Extra fine plain flour
➥ 1/4 tsp Salt
➥ 1/4 tsp Vanilla extract
➥ 1 tsp Baking powder
➥ 25g Matcha powder
➥ 5 egg whites, beaten
➥ 100g Caster sugar
➥ Optional: 1 tsp Cream of tartar
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius.
2. First, you need to prepare the egg yolk mixture. Separate the egg whites and yolks into two large bowls. Cream the egg yolks together with sugar until it's a pale yellow before blending in the canola oil, milk, water, salt, vanilla extract.
3.Add in the dry ingredients. Sift in the flour and matcha powder. Blend until all the ingredients are incorporated and smooth.
4. Now it is time to prepare the meringue. Blend the end whites on a high speed until soft, stiff peaks are formed. Slowly add in the caster sugar and cream of tartar into the mixture.
5. Add in half the meringue into the egg yolk mixture until well combined. Fold in the other half in quarters, ensuring everything is even and smooth.
6. Pour the batter into a 23cm chiffon tin and bake for approx. 1 hour and 5-10 mins, depending on your oven. Your cake is done when it is a golden brown. Try sticking in a toothpick, if it comes out clean, it's done.
7. Let the cake cool down completely upside down. Only attempt to remove it from the tin once it's completely cool. Dust with icing sugar and serve.