Friday, 29 January 2016
Vanilla and White Chocolate Doughnut Cupcakes
Makes: approx. 12 large cupcakes Overall time: approx. an hour
Click here for a video tutorial
for the cupcakes:
➥ 240g Plain flour
➥ 180g Caster sugar
➥ 80g Unsalted butter
➥ 240ml Whole milk
➥ 2 x eggs
➥ 1 tbsp Baking powder
➥ 1/2 tbspVanilla extract
for the mini doughnuts:
➥ 200g Plain flour
➥ 125g Caster sugar
➥ An Egg
➥ 125ml Whole milk
➥ 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt
➥ 1 tsp Vanilla extract
➥ 50g Unsalted Butter, melted
➥ 2 tsp Baking powder
➥ 80g White chocolate (melted)
for the Vanilla Bean buttercream:
➥ 125g Unsalted butter
➥ 250g Icing sugar
➥ 1/2 tsp Vanilla bean extract
➥ White chocolate
➥ Blue and purple gel food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Place the sifted flour, caster sugar, baking powder and butter into a large and blend at a low speed with an electric whisk until it resembles crumbly sand.
2. Add in the milk, egg, melted white chocolate and vanilla bean extract then blend until all the ingredients are smooth and well incorporated.
3. Pour approx. 2 tbsp of batter into each cupcake case and bake for 25-30 minutes.
4. While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the doughnuts. Blend all the ingredients listed above and pipe the mixture into a doughnut maker. They should be ready within 10 minutes.
5. Prepare the vanilla buttercream. Add all the ingredients into a bowl and blend until the buttercream is stiff and well blended. It should take approx. 5-10 mins on a medium speed with a hand whisk. Using a toothpick, dab specks of colour all over the inside of a piping bad before filling it with the buttercream.
6. Once the cupcakes are well baked, leave them to the side to cool down.
7. Using a star nozzle, pipe the buttercream onto each individual cupcake and gently place a doughnut on top. Finish off with melted white chocolate and sprinkle on some white chocolate shavings. They are ready to be served!